Thursday, September 22, 2011

Anchored Out and Gettin Loud All Summer Long

This past weekend I made the drive (once again) down to Southern California to visit Lake Havasu City, AZ for the weekend. After taking off a bit early from work, I hopped in my car and proceeded down the all too familiar 99. Three-ish hours later I was back at the good old HOP (house of pi for those non-adpis). The short visit included catching up with my former roommate, the wonderful Katie Schaller. We took a long overdue trip to Yogurtland to tell stories of our summers, and talk about current sorority drama. Sadly the house was relatively empty so other than Katie, Leanne and a few others I didn’t get to see too many girls.
Around 6 I set off towards Rancho Cucamonga to meet up with Karissa, Conrad, and the rest of our Havasu crew for the weekend. A drive that was supposed to take one hour of course took two due to the fabulous LA rush hour traffic. About four hours and one Sonic-drive thru stop later we arrived in Lake Havasu City, AZ and proceeded off to bed to rest up before our big Saturday.
gotta love that LA traffic

Saturday, saw us getting to the lake around 10am, cruising through the already semi-full channel, under the original London Bridge, and of course documenting the whole thing with multiple photos. We opened up our respective drinks (we were extremely excited about the random purchase of the drink I named “mojito in a bag”… creative, I know…) and proceeded further out on to the lake to do some water skiing. 
all the girls
Karissa and I in front of the London Bridge

Unfortunately that was cut short as an unfortunate run in between the boat engine and the rope occurred, causing Conrad and Karissa to spend at least an hour cutting the rope out of the engine. =( 

torn up rope

Once that was all fixed though, we were on our way once again, and this time we headed over the Naked Turtle to get some lunch and some more drinks. Luckily, we were able to catch a bit of the UCLA/Texas football game while at the bar waiting for our drinks. Those around us probably thought we were a bit obnoxious as we cheered loudly for our Bruins despite Texas’ comfortable lead.

mojito in a bag.. duh
After some lunch and the purchase of two bucket sized drinks to share amongst the crew we headed back out on the water to do some tubing. Conrad had fun driving the boat (and trying to throw us off) while we each took our turn hanging on for dear life. When I went by myself on the tube I got some serious air flying over those wakes (or at least that’s how it felt), and I am proud of the bruise on my hip from my epic crash as I finally let go of the tube and flipped off the raft.

                Once we exhausted ourselves tubing, we headed back in to where KFROG was hosting a free country concert on the lake. We anchored the boat, busted out the pool noodles and floated in the water, enjoying a beer and the music of Craig Morgan (red neck yacht club anyone?) As the sun went down and the music came to an end, we blasted my iPod and dance partied our way back to the dock.
Sadly, due to the long drive back to Rancho and my even longer drive back to Fresno we didn’t have time to go out on the water again on Sunday, but we did have a delicious lunch at a Mexican restaurant near the lake before we took off. About 8 hours later I was back in Fresno and sufficiently exhausted from an awesome weekend. Definitely can’t wait for the next trip (even though it probably won’t be until next summer)!

crappy iphone video of Craig Morgan's Redneck Yacht Club. best part... the random girls yelling "TRAILER PARK" not quite at the same time as Mr. Morgan...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!