Friday, February 27, 2015

Charleston, SC: The Food

Oh my goodness y'all... I won't even tell you how much money we spent of food in Charleston, but I will tell you that it was worth every penny. I truly don't know if I have ever been to a city that has such an amazing restaurant market! I'll break it down by meal for you all... get ready this post is not short!

Dinner:

I'm starting here because this was the most important meal of most of our days. We splurged on our dinners, as you will see if you go look at these restaurants websites. But food is important to us and I believe in spending money on experiences! We did dinner at Husk, McCrady's, and Charleston Grill. Here's the scoop on each:

Husk: We were on a bit of a Sean Brock tour during this trip to Charleston, and Husk was out first stop on the tour. If you don't know who Sean Brock is- don't worry I didn't either- he is an award winning chef who has appeared on the TV Show Mind of a Chef. You can find it on Netflix.

We started off at the whiskey bar, next door to the actual restaurant, for a drink. We can be snobs occasionally when it comes to a good whiskey/bourbon based cocktail. We've been spoiled by our visits to Taste- an amazing bar in St. Louis. Because of that, I've got to say I didn't love my first drink The CBWS’s Punch but I was quite enthralled by my second drink the Keeneland. A's Barrel-Aged Manhattan was good too, though not the best of the trip.

Dinner was a whole different story! We started off with the Pig's Ear Lettuce Wraps- these were wonderful. A could not get enough of them (in fact he just brought them up again yesterday)! Next I had the Pork- Slow Cooked VA Heritage Pork, Charred Sweet Potato and Mustard Greens with VA Apple Cider Jus, Toasted Pecans- and Adrian had what is my new favorite fish, the Triggerfish- Atlantic Triggerfish, Mustard Spaetzle, Cauliflower and Spinach, Country Ham, Manchego Broth. We also got a side of the cornbread, which we totally didn't need because the dishes were so amazing. We finished up with the Sweet Vanilla Doughnut Holes for dessert. YUM.
Trigger Fish & Pork at Husk
McCrady's: McCrady's is Sean Brock's original restaurant in Charleston. We went here on Valentine's day for a special, very romantic dinner. We were seated in a quiet little table in an alcove near the bar which provided a fantastic atmosphere for our meal. We chose to do the tasting menu with the wine pairings. Let me tell you, this was not a meal... this was an experience! The staff was incredible- our waiter especially so. The food was unreal. And the wine pairings just put everything over the top. I wish this were something I could afford to do every weekend- but it's probably more of a once in a long while activity. I'm pushing for once a year on what is sure to become a Charleston vacation tradition for us =) If you've got the cash to do it, I HIGHLY recommend McCrady's.

Charleston Grill: We went to Charleston Grill on our last night in town. Originally we just planned to have a drink and listen to the father/son jazz duo who play contemporary and classical covers. We sat down at the bar and realized we were hungry. After ordering our drinks- Manhattan for A (best of the trip) and something else for me... I honestly can't remember- we decided on the crab cake appetizer. This thing was amazing. After that, we couldn't stop there. I got the scallops and A got the pork shank. Both were delicious, but I definitely won this one. By the end we were too stuffed for dessert, but our bartenders did give us some little treats anyway. This was out semi-unintentional dinner over-spend. But again, it was totally worth it.

Lunch:

We found three very worthwhile lunch spots and one to avoid. I'll start with the one to avoid- Hyman's Seafood. It's right on Market street and boast itself as one of the best seafood spots in town. We ate there right when we got in to town on Thursday and we were starving. It wasn't bad but it pales in comparison to everything else we had that weekend. Skip it.

Now for the one's we liked: Brasserie Gigi, The Tattooed Moose, and Minero.

Brasserie Gigi: We actually ended up here after looking around for some where to eat on Friday and having no luck at Cru (which had been recommended to us). Oddly enough, this place had been recommended to us as well (however we had not taken this person seriously at the time). Turns out, it's pretty good. Although we did split a bottle of wine with this lunch so I'm sure that influenced our thoughts on the food. Truly, I could take it or leave it. But it was fun for us to sit at the bar and share the trout dish that we ordered.
Tattooed Moose
The Tattooed Moose: This is my kind of place y'all. Totally dive-y with delicious food. They are famous for their Duck Club (and for good reason, I got it and it was amazing). But A got the cuban sandwich and that was delightful as well. This one gets another HIGH recommendation from me. (Sidenote- I've given the highest recommendations to the most expensive and cheapest places on my list... go figure that one out.)

Minero: This was our last stop on the Sean Brock tour- his new taco joint. A flipped when we found out this existed! We had it for lunch on our last day, and it did not disappoint. I got the burrito (which is massive) and A got the al pastor and  the carnitas tacos. All of it was delicious.

Breakfast/Brunch:

We skimped on this meal, most of the time choosing to sleep in and wait until lunch, however we did hit one of the famous brunch places in Charleston- Hominy Grill. We also got donuts at Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts. We may or may not have done these things on the same day....

Hominy Grill: We had heard mixed reviews of Hominy and we weren't sure if it was going to be worth the hype... But I would put it on my list of recommendations- ONLY IF you order The Nasty Biscuit. I made the mistake of ordering banana pancakes, which were good but you can get pancakes anywhere. A got The Nasty Biscuit- friend chicken biscuit sandwich covered in delicious gravy- and it was amazing. The wait was long, about an hour. It got a little frustrating when they kept calling names of people who had chosen to leave (but hey, at least that made our wait time shorter), and the hostesses seemed a bit unorganized. But once inside, that nasty biscuit made up for it.
Photo Credit
Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts- get there early if you really want to try their special flavors (we didn't) but if their specialty's are anything like their plain glazed, chocolate with sprinkles, and raspberry glazed doughnuts, then this place is awesome. The raspberry glazed was incredible- the glaze was fresh, and the doughnut was soft and yummy. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it.
There are still so many restaurants in Charleston that are left on our list for next time. The food in this town in just unreal. Our favorite activity was asking any of our waiters/uber drivers etc where we should eat... We got so many recommendations that we started a list for next time!

Next week I'll tell you about the stuff we did while we were there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!