Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go

This past weekend I was at home complaining about being bored and driving my family insane when I decided to head over to goodreads.com and check it out since I had seen Becca posting about it.

Meaning I now have an account, so if you do too you should add me! You can find me via my email acanfield04@gmail.com.

After signing up for a free account, and rating about 20 books that I've read in the past, it gave me lists upon lists of recommendations.
I was so excited!

Because I loved The Hunger Games so much, I decided to look for books similar to that series.

I quickly picked out The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.
Here's a little description courtesy of GoodReads.

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.
But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

The book was definitely a page turner, filled with suspense. The book is in first person stream of consciousness from main character Todd Hewitt's perspective. It is written exactly how he speaks, poor grammar and all. My first thought when I began reading was "ugh I wish I had read a preview, I don't think I would have bought this" because the grammar and spelling really bothered me. But as I got in to the story (which doesn't take long) I let that go and immersed myself in his world.

My biggest complaint is that this is certainly book one of a series. There is not an ending, at least not an ending that a reader can be satisfied with without continuing on in the series. 

I gave it 3 of 5 stars on GoodReads. If you are a fan of young adult, dystopian society books (like The Hunger Games) with an interesting twist you will enjoy this book like I did. But be prepared to either continue the series or be mildly disappointed with the lack of ending.

However, should you choose to continue the series (which I did) you will be pleasantly surprised with the addition of a second perspective in book two.

Oh an I'm linking up with these girls (below) for Book Club Fridays!
Go see what others are reading in blog land!

1 comment:

Your comments make my day!