Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Intermediate Gratification

A and I were talking the other day- trying to figure out our visiting-each other-schedule for the next few months... and I said it is depressing to look at a calendar and see how little I am able to see him in a given year. His comment was, "well I am a big fan of delayed gratification." I immediately responded, "I like instant gratification."

His response... "I guess we will just have to find some intermediate gratification."

First of all, that's not a thing. But it definitely made me laugh. So I guess that has now become a thing- at least it will be for our current situation.

We are constantly having to find ways to balance his patience with my impatience, his desire to work with my desire to play. He pulls me back from making impulsive decisions and I push him to go with the flow a bit more.

Rather than creating tension, our differences in opinion allow us to both become more balanced individuals. Of course getting to that balancing point requires listening and respect, the ability to abandon judgement and embrace understanding, and a very healthy dose of open communication- all skills we continue to strengthen daily.

Through all that, somewhere in the middle we find the right decisions for both of us.

The intermediate gratification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!